Re: java 1.3 and glibc 2.3.1

Richard Gellert Roman wrote:

> I am not sure, if it's right to post sid-related mails here, sorry for
> the inconvenience.

Yes, this is the right place to post questions about any Debian setup.

> I recently updated my testing/unstable Debian, and had to recognize,
> that java 1.3.1 from Sun did not run any more:
>
> gellert@ritch:~$ javac
> Unable to load native library: /usr/local/java/jre/lib/i386/libjava.so:
> symbol __libc_wait, version GLIBC_2.0 not defined in file libc.so.6 with
> link time reference
>
> Woah. Downgrading to older glibc would have been to difficult because of
> the dependencies, and yes, I do need version 1.3 of Java to use PSE Pro.

I had the same problem with jdk 1.4. I find that upgrading to 1.4.1 fixes
it.

The problem here is that some idiot at Sun put a call to __libc_wait in
the JVM. __libc_wait is (was) an internal function of libc 2.2 that
should never have been called directly from outside libc, and it no
longer exists in libc 2.3.

I don't know what PSE Pro is; does it really work only on 1.3? You can't
use 1.4.1? What I've done for a few things is use 1.4.1 with the
j2ee.jar from 1.3 (since AFAIK there is still no jdk1.4-ee). I haven't
found this to cause any problems.

Craig