java 1.3 and glibc 2.3.1

hi,

I am not sure, if it's right to post sid-related mails here, sorry for
the inconvenience.

I recently updated my testing/unstable Debian, and had to recognize,
that java 1.3.1 from Sun did not run any more:

gellert@ritch:~$ javac
Unable to load native library: /usr/local/java/jre/lib/i386/libjava.so:
symbol __libc_wait, version GLIBC_2.0 not defined in file libc.so.6 with
link time reference

Woah. Downgrading to older glibc would have been to difficult because of
the dependencies, and yes, I do need version 1.3 of Java to use PSE Pro.

My solution for the problem: I downloaded and decompressed the old libc6
package, into the /usr/local/libc6forjava directory. What I had to do,
is to tell java to use this instead of the new glibc. I modified (I know
it's ugly...) /usr/local/java/bin/.java_wrapper:

ritch:/usr/local/java/bin# diff .java_wrapper .java_wrapper.old
84c84
<
JAVA_LIBRARY_PATH="/usr/local/libc6forjava/:${jre}/lib/${proc}/${vmtype}$JAVA_LIBRARY_PATH"
---
> JAVA_LIBRARY_PATH="${jre}/lib/${proc}/${vmtype}$JAVA_LIBRARY_PATH"
111,112c111
<      exec /usr/local/libc6forjava/ld-linux.so.2  $DEBUG_PROG "$prog" "$@"
<      #exec $DEBUG_PROG "$prog" "$@"
---
>      exec $DEBUG_PROG "$prog" "$@"

Hope I could help someone out there.

ritch

PS: I am not on Debian-user's list, please Cc comments to my address
too.