Re: KDE wont start on unstable after upgrade

This one time, at band camp, David Goodenough said:
> I recently upgraded a machine which had been installed as unstable but had
> not been upgraded for a few weeks.  Everything has upgraded cleanly, and the
> machine used to work quite satisfactorily.  Now when I boot the machine it
> starts KDM quite happily, but then when I login using kdm it clears the screen
> and then redisplays the kdm dialog.  Both the kdm dialog and background appear
> to be normal and there are no errors in /var/log/XFree86.log.0.  This happens
> whatever the user (there are 2 normal users + root on the machine).
>
> Login on through one of the tty consoles works just fine for all the IDs, and
> exactly the same behaviour happens if I logon at the console and then issue
> startx.
>
> I can not find any error messages anywhere, anyone got any ideas?
>
> David
Look at ~/.xsession-errors - that's where you'll see errors in this
case.  If there's nothing obvious there, try moving .xsession out of the
way, and trying to startx again.  It sounds like X itself is working
fine, just that something is bolloxing up your logins.  Is this a
problem for root as well?

Steve
--
I've run DOOM more in the last few days than I have the last few
months.  I just love debugging ;-)