Re: fetchmail configuration

Shyamal Prasad wrote:

   "Sandip" == Sandip P Deshmukh <Sandip> writes:

   Sandip> fetchmail -d0 > flog & results in flog that looks like:

   Sandip> 1 message for deshmukh at 192.168.100.1 (955 octets).
   Sandip> reading message sandip.deshmukh@subdimension.com:1 of 1
Sandip> (955 octets) Sandip> flushed

It means fetchmail got your message, delivered it locally and flushed
your POP mailbox (I think that means it deleted the message on the
mailbox, but I can't remember for sure).

where will this message go?? i thought fetchmail will get it in /var/mail/sandip!!

   Sandip> my /var/mail/sandip is 0 bytes

I hope you don't have a .procmailrc or .forward file.

i checked in ~. there are none of the two files present! i am just starting out. still some time before i have .forward or .procmailrc ;)

Also, be sure you have something like

   user 'sandip.deshmukh@subdimension.com' there ... is sandip here

in your fetchmailrc config file.

it does have such entries. i forgot to mention, but i had used fetchmailconf utility to create .fetchmailrc file

Look at that config file very
carefully (the -d0 flag you used kind of concerns me).

well, i read up man fetchmail. -d0 flag is for NOT running the fetchmail in background. as i said, i was still testing it. so, i chose to use the flag.

Can you match
each of those entries in the flog file with what you see being written
to /var/log/exim/mainlog? The exim log should tell you exactly where
the delivery went.

all right. this gives me some clue. will do a full run again and will be back with results.

Like your exim set up, this *should* be working if you got the config
files set up ;-) Boy, I hope you enjoying this, because you could go
out and turn a lot off people off Debian otherwise!

well, it sure is letting me learn a lot and helping me keep young! i still cant fathom, though, how is exim + pop3browser + fetchmail + procmail + mua a better solution than mua + 'rules' + smtp server setup! and no worries on me turning people off debian. i am sure, those who can think, will like to be on debian - not off it!

Cheers!
Shyamal

- sandip