Re: MXXS Problems

On Mon, Oct 28, 2002 at 08:58:06PM -0500, lameth spake thusly:
> I can't play any audio cd's in XMMS. When I click the play button a
> window opens displaying my home directory, when I change to the /cdrom/
> directory no files are listed. I've checked etc/fstab and I do have a
> listing for my cdrom drive;
> /dev/cdrom    /cdrom                 iso9660  ro, user, noauto    0
>          0
>
> When I issue the command mount /cdrom I get this response
> mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on dev/cdrom, or to
> many mounted file systems.
>
> When I issue the command umount /cdrom I get this response
> umount: /cdrom is not mounted (according to mtab)
>
> The contents of mtab are;
> /dev/hda2 / ext3 rw, errors=remount-ro 0 0
> proc /proc proc rw 0 0
> devpts /dev/pts devpts rw,gid=5,mode=620 0
> /dev/hda4 /home ext3 rw 0 0
> /proc/bus/usb /proc/bus/usb usbdevfs rw 0 0
>
> From what I've read on the linux document project's site my cdrom is
> set correctly in fstab. The cdrom is actually a dvd-rom drive, that
> actually works and plays dvd's, would it need different settings in
> fstab to play audio cd's.

Actually, the CD audio stuff is completely independent, and requires no
mounting. It's basically just an XMMS hack.

What it does is to scan cds (automatically, I think) and any audio
tracks it finds get listed in the file selection under whatever
directory you've chosen in the xmms preferences. These files won't show
up in any other program - they're not really there. It's strictly an
xmms thing. fstab and mtab have nothing to do with it. Note also that
you *can* choose the same directory for the listing of these pseudofiles
as you would for mounting an actual cdrom, but you don't need to.

To set which directory the pseudofiles get put in, configure the CD
Audio input plugin in xmms.

--
Jon-o Addleman