MXXS Problems

I can't play any audio cd's in XMMS. When I click the play button a window opens displaying my home directory, when I change to the /cdrom/ directory no files are listed. I've checked etc/fstab and I do have a listing for my cdrom drive;
/dev/cdrom /cdrom iso9660 ro, user, noauto 0 0

When I issue the command mount /cdrom I get this response
mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on dev/cdrom, or to many mounted file systems.

When I issue the command umount /cdrom I get this response
umount: /cdrom is not mounted (according to mtab)

The contents of mtab are;
/dev/hda2 / ext3 rw, errors=remount-ro 0 0
proc /proc proc rw 0 0
devpts /dev/pts devpts rw,gid=5,mode=620 0
/dev/hda4 /home ext3 rw 0 0
/proc/bus/usb /proc/bus/usb usbdevfs rw 0 0

From what I've read on the linux document project's site my cdrom is set correctly in fstab. The cdrom is actually a dvd-rom drive, that actually works and plays dvd's, would it need different settings in fstab to play audio cd's.

tia
Lameth