Re: ipmasq and ftp

On Mon, Oct 28, 2002 at 09:08:43PM +0100, Benedict Verheyen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> yesterday i installed woody 3.0 (testing/unstable) on my server.
> I then installed ipmasq so it's able to share the cable connection.
> For the moment all works well except for ftp: i get this error in
> my ftp program:
> "Error opening data socket"
> Does anybody know what rule (for a .rul file) i can add to make sure
> i'm able to open an ftp connection via my server?

I had this problem with a 2.4 kernel and iptables.  Normal FTP uses a
separate connection for data, although if you use passive mode, it will
work over the main connection.  If I use a 2.2 kernel with ipchains,
the ip_masq_ftp module, which takes care of the data connection, will
be installed and there are no problems.

I find the documentation on setting up iptables to be somewhat
confusing, but I figure I just haven't spent enough time on it yet.

I have a different problem now however.  I configured port forwarding,
but if a client outside my lan tries to ftp from my server, it only
works if passive mode is NOT used.

Bob