pam_userdb and version of .db-file

Hi!

One of the latest updates to my i386/stable-box gave me severe
 headaches wrt the subject.

I run cyrus for providing a small handful of users with POP3/
 IMAP4-access, and since I do not want all of them to have shells on my
 box, I authenticate them via pam_userdb and a separate password-file.
 Until recently this just worked. I'd create the .db-file with
 sendmails makemap from a "key<whitespace>value\n"-style source.

Now makemap produces "Version 8" (libdb3?) files, which pam_userdb
 cannot read. After much debugging I've now resorted to creating a
 "Version 5" .db-file with db_load (from libdb2-util). This seems like
 an ugly kludge (it's far from "intuitive", and db_load wants paired
 lines of input which means I have to rewrite all my little
 helper-scripts).

Is there a "standard" or "preferred" way of doing this? Maybe one which
 has some probability of surviving the next libdb<$num>-upgrade?

TIA+cheers,
&rw
--
/ Ing. Robert Waldner | Security Engineer |  CoreTec IT-Security  \
\   <rw@coretec.at>   | T +43 1 503 72 73 | F +43 1 503 72 73 x99 /