Re: USB external modems

On Mon, Oct 28, 2002 at 12:30:55PM +0000, Rhodri wrote:
> Hi everybody
>
> I was unfortunate enough (or naive) to get a laptop
> with a winmodem inside. I then considered  to buy an
> external modem; I read lot about modems and I decided
> to buy an external serial port modem. So far so good,
> until I realized that my laptop does not come with any
> serial port for modems.
>
> Therefore, I had to think about a USB modem. However,
> it is said that USB external modems do not work with
> linux. On the contrary, there are few other places
> where it is said that USB external modems DO work with
> linux.
>
> Anybody (by chance) has (or knows anyone who has) an
> USB external modem working with linux (debian)?

The Elsa USB modems work fine with Linux (but not with Win2k or XP if you
are dual booting) but they seem to have gone out of business.  At least some
of the Best Data USB modems work as well.  Basically if it is a real
hardware modem it should be fine.  There is a site with a huge list of known
working and non-working modems, I don't have a direct link but there is a
link on http://www.linmodems.org.

--
Ray