Re: Postfix setup

-- martin f krafft <madduck@debian.org> wrote
(on Tuesday, 15 October 2002, 08:39 AM +0200):
> also sprach Bob Proulx <bob@proulx.com> [2002.10.15.0555 +0200]:
> > If you have a static IP address then yes, "Internet Site".  If you
> > have a DUL or a DHCP or other dynamic address then choose "Internet
> > with smarthost" and specify your ISP mail hub for the smart host.
>
> If you have a dynamic IP, then you are not an "Internet Site", whether
> with smarthost or not. With a dynamic IP, you are a satellite system,
> unless you use fetchmail on the system to deliver locally after POP or
> QDMR, then you'd qualify as an internet site, i suppose.
I beg to differ. With services such as those offered by dyndns.org, you
*can* be an internet site with regards to mail delivery (and any other
web service, for that matter). And don't try and tell me differently --
I'm on a dynamic IP and have my domain registered and pointing to it.

> > The problem of spammers are the reason for this.  They will camp out
> > on dynamic addresses, spam and then move on.  Therefore a *large*
> > number of sites will not accept mail from anyone in those address
> > ranges given to dynamic addresses and DUL since those are both usually
> > spam heaven.
This is true, to a degree. I'm on Time Warner, but have a business
connection; I have yet to find a site that doesn't accept mail from my
address. However, when I was originally on a consumer connection, I
could not get mail to go anywhere without relaying it through the TWC
mailservers.

--
Matthew Weier O'Phinney
matthew@weierophinney.net