video memory vs.regular memory

Can someone explain or point me to a tutorial concerning the difference
between video memory and the memory on a motherboard?

I am about to get a dual processer 1.67 AMD computer with 512M on the
motherboard.  I have a 3DFX TV card with 16M of video memory and
a ATI Radeon w/32M memory.  I would like to use the Voodoo 3500 TV
card as my video card but want to make sure it will handle modern games
and such.

If my understanding is correct, video memory determines the rate at which
pictues are drawn on the screen and number of colors at different resolutions.
Therefore, it doesn't seem that processor speed would help much if I had I
game for instance that required 32M video memory.

Am I wrong in this assumption?  Is there a tradeoff with processor speed and
mainboard memory and video memory?  In other words, is a 16M video card
sufficient on a system that has 512M and 1.67Ghz processor?

Lance