Re: Domestic network!

--- Glyn Millington <glyn@millingtons.org> wrote:

> Can you help me with some pointers for what, for me, is a major task?
>
> Two, and in about a year three computers in our house - two running
> debian woody, one running Winders 98.  I want to connect them so that
> we
> can share files and printing services (coveting my wife's laser
> printer!), the internet connection (dial-up) through a debian box.
>
> I have not the first idea about the hardware side of this and only so
> much on the software side as can be gleaned from the networking
> chapter
> of "Running Linux".  Google gives me masses of stuff which seems to
> be
> way over the top (read way over my head).
>
> Can anyone point me to some basic documentation aimed at this kind of
> network?
>

> Thanks in advance
>
> Glyn
>
> --

Looking at all the info out there is intimidating!  A network like
you're looking at is pretty straightforward.  You didn't mention how
you connect to the internet, though.

For hardware, you need network cards, cable, and a hub or router.  I'd
recommend a router as they're cheap, fast, cable/dsl ready, and (can)
come with printer ports for your (wife's) laser, out of the box.
Usually easy to configure too.  Go with a company that supports linux.

Once its cabled, all you need do is assign IP addresses to have your
own network.  Yes, it can be that simple :-)

hth,
Patrick.

Yahoo! - We Remember
http://dir.remember.yahoo.com/tribute