Re: New to Debian

On Thursday 22 August 2002 10:35 am, Chris Lale wrote:
>  > Don't get me wrong Ken but your mail is some kind of horrific. We're
>  >  not a free of charge Support. We're willed to help but I - and I
>  > hope the others agree to my statement - would like to see some sort
>  >  of netiquette. Especially it's always a good thing to show that
>  > you've tried to solve your problems and got stuck. As a nice side effect
>  >  this kind of behaviour will not only please us but will help us to
>  >  give you better advices (as you can see by my answer it's not really
>  >  possible to help you with the given facts). Please refer the RFC
>  > called netiquette for more information.
>
> I wonder if this is a little harsh. If you click on the "support" button
> on the Debian Web site you may find yourself directed to this list. The
> code of conduct (http://www.uk.debian.org/MailingLists/) says nothing
> about netiquette, neither does the email message you get when you first
> subscribe. (Perhaps this message could be altered to include some
> guidance?) Could we not welcome new users by pointing them more gently
> in the right direction?
>
> Can anyone tell me where to find "the RFC called netiquette" referred to?

Something doesn't have to be documented to be a standard. It's widely
accepted in almost every channel of communications via the Internet that
there is a certain ettiquete one is expected to abide. Think about it. If
every newbie came in and said, "my sytem iz br0k3!!!!", would you like it?
The least thing to ask, on a FREE support outlet, is for a little additional
information so the problem can be properly troubleshooted. And the original
poster did just that without being insultive.

--
Scott C. Linnenbringer
sl.at.eskimo.com