Re: is booting (a SW RAID1) from a second IDE controller possible?

Maybe your motherboard/bios has an unusual set of
requirements, but normally you would not have to have
a disk attached to the first controller. Can you boot
from a cdrom? It's the same thing -- I don't know the
mechanics, but usually in the bios you can set the
sequence of devices the computer tries to boot from
(often floppy, hard disk, cdrom). As long as you have
the hard disk in the sequence, or perhaps something
identified as hard disk 2, you'll be fine.

In terms of the kernel config, I don't think its
something you can do with modconf. In fact, now that I
think of it, I applied the -ac patch to the kernel
because that had newer/better ide options than the
stock kernel. I'm not sure its still necessary to do
that, though.

If you do use an -ac kernel, and need some info on
"ide=reverse", the option is in:

ATA/IDE/ ... support -->

  IDE/ATA ... block devices -->

  select your normal options plus:

  IDE Taskfile IO
  Boot off-board chipsets first support [info on
ide=reverse is here]

In terms of applying patches and compiling your own
kernel, if you're not that familiar with it, I can't
recommemd kpkg enough. And kernelnewbies.com is
helpful to.