memory usage in woody

    Hello,

    So, I recently upgraded my old P75 with 16Megs of RAM I'm using as a
firewall/router box from potato to woody, and I'm noticing now that the
performance of dpkg is quite bad. It uses >50% of the memory on the system on
average, and upgrades of a couple of packages are taking forever.

    Are there methods I can use to optimize the packaging tools on this old
box?

    Thanks,
    Mike

--
Michael P. Soulier <msoulier@storm.ca>, GnuPG pub key: 5BC8BE08
of nerd-like effort."  -Harley Hahn, A Student's Guide to Unix