Re: Can't get fs recognized as ext3

James Hughes <jhughes@kos.net> schrieb am 07.08.2002, 06:26:01:
> ... snipp ...
>
> No, I'm using a custom 2.4.16 kernel (built with make-kpkg). I'm going
> to take Craig's advice (see previous post in thread) and try
> recompiling the kernel with ext3 support directly in the kernel, not
> as a module. Although, I do wonder, why would it be offered as a
> module if the module doesn't work?
>
> James

It will work as a module for other partitions, but not for the root
partition. As a module it goes like this: to mount the root partition as
ext3 you need the module for ext3 support -> to load the module for ext3
support you need access to the root partition (/lib/modules/2.4.16/...)
->
to get access to the root partition you need to mount the root partition
->
to mount the the root partition as ext3 you the module for ext3 support
->
So if you are going to use ext3 only for some partitions (e.g. for
partitions with many file changes like /var or /home) you can use ext3
support as a module. Normally the root partition should be a fairly
small
partition which contains only files that do not change regularly. In
this
case the root partition could be mounted read-only (and remounted as
read-write when needed) and an ext2 filesystem would be sufficient.

Andreas