Re: Can't get fs recognized as ext3

On Tue, Aug 06, 2002 at 09:46:52PM -0400, Andre Berger wrote:
> * James Hughes <jhughes@kos.net>, 2002-08-06 20:18 -0400:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I've done the following to get set up with ext3:
> >
> > Compiled support into kernel (as module)
> > Run 'tune2fs -j /dev/hda6'
> > Changed default fs type in fstab to 'ext3'
> >
> > cfdisk reports that the fs type for this partition is indeed
> > ext3. However, dmesg reports:
> >
> > VFS: Mounted root (ext2 filesystem) readonly
> >
> > And, judging from the lengthy fsck's I've had to endure due to X
> > crashes/power button hits over the last couple days, I am not enjoying
> > the benefits of a journalling filesystem that I've heard so much
> > about.
> >
> > What am I missing?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > James
>
> Are you using kernel-image-2.4.18-386 like me? It doesn't work here
> either. Package maintainer Herbert Xu told me it was a bug in the
> initrd-tools package and to fixed in the future.

No, I'm using a custom 2.4.16 kernel (built with make-kpkg). I'm going
to take Craig's advice (see previous post in thread) and try
recompiling the kernel with ext3 support directly in the kernel, not
as a module. Although, I do wonder, why would it be offered as a
module if the module doesn't work?

James