Re: wine questions

Am Donnerstag, 25. Juli 2002 16:10 schrieb Tom Badran:

> > -	Are windows apps supported which are using a network connection?
>
> Yes

That sounds good...

> Wine only has access to the files you configure it to. Thus you can have a
> $home/wine directory which is the only one writable by it and it cant
> effect anything else.

...even better :)

> 99% of Windows applications have a linux alternative which is better, so
> look around before using wine for everything

of course

> and remember that even if
> websites dont mention it, you can apt-get install most apps. The big
> exception to this is games, which WineX (www.transgaming.com) does a VERY
> good job of.

Yeah, I heard about that dilemma as winex was planned to be debianized. Very
sad, but I don't play games very often anyway. I got used to Linux and really
like it, but there are some windows apps which really don't have a reasonable
alternative (e.g almost every app related to music production) and I hate
those reboots just because I have to do a 2 min job with a win app. That's
why I thought of trying to use wine. Hope it will run my apps.

Just a last question - because you made me curious - have you brought every
windows game to run with WineX? Or did some tests fail?

Regards

Christian