Re: why is the Gnome desktop environment so slow!!!

On Wed, 2002-07-24 at 22:29, Armenteros Roberto wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> All major distributions always refer to Gnome as the
> Desktop environment of choice. I really cant
> understand why this is so since this is such a slow
> environment.

I agree that it is not the fastest environment. However, I find that if
I run a light gtk theme, use fluxbox as wm and load only the panel &
session manager at login, it's speed is ok on my laptop (P4 500 /
128MB).

I use rox (http://rox.sourceforge.net/rox_filer.php3) as a file manager
- very fast, easy to configure and simple to use. I quite like some of
the nautilus themes, so I configured rox to use the nautilus icons. Now
it looks almost as good and operates about 10 times faster than
nautilus. You might find that rox is powerfull enough to do away with
the gnome environment completely - run it in pinboard mode when you log
in and it will draw the root window like nautilus does. Then just
provide icons for all the stuff your sister uses. Hey presto, a drag and
drop desktop environment.

Using a light weight gtk theme seems to make a huge difference to the
performance of Evolution, my PIM software of choice. If you want a quick
and intuitive email client, try slypheed. IMHO galeon is the best web
browser on the planet - it's interface is fast and light, plus it uses
the excellent mozilla "gecko" engine to render pages.

Sam