why is the Gnome desktop environment so slow!!!

Hi all,

All major distributions always refer to Gnome as the
Desktop environment of choice. I really cant
understand why this is so since this is such a slow
environment. Graphics are nice, but performance is
really bad. The drawing capabilities are so poor.
Windows take forever to open. Nautilius is just a
heavy old rino. "I have an NVidia GeForce 2 Ti which
is supposed to handle graphics like cake." If you guys
do anything to the gnome environment to make it faster
or have found a good alternative to Nautilius please
let me know. Not that I am going to abandon BlackBox
"I would never do so" but sometimes my sister wants to
use my computer and she needs an easy environment.
"When she uses Gnome she is always complaining..." I
already gave up with KDE by the way.

  Thanks for your help...

Rob.