Re: OT: Flamebait: Text vs HTML email

Ron Johnson wrote:

> On Wed, 2002-07-24 at 20:29, Travis Crump wrote:
> > Ron Johnson wrote:

> > > True, but some extreme positions were being expressed, and I
> > > saw the need to remind that there's a large spectrum between
> > > low infrared and hight ultraviolet.
> > >
> > > As in may other areas, 3" high bold, red fonts in emails can
> > > be directly attributable to PEBKAC, and that does not invalidate
> > > the *judicious* use of differing sizes, strokes and colors...
> > >

> > Though amazingly, you were able to /add/ *bold* formatting to a _plain
> > text e-mail_   :)
>
> People devised these de facto standards because of the inadequacy
> of plain ACSII.  Good examples of judicious use are at linuxtoday.com
> and slashdot, where italics, bold and underline are allowed, but
> the potential for abuse (i.e. color and point size).

Aw, c'mon now, Ron!  /. easy to read and digest?

I'm one of the first hundred subscribers to /. and I do browse it at
least once per day; but, easily read is *not* a phrase that I'd use to
describe /.

Besides, we ``devised'' these idioms, because it adds character and is
fun and allows us to express our creativity and joy, &c.  IMHO, if the
internet was, from the outset, too staid and tedious and inadequate to
the task, I sincerely doubt that there ever would have been a www -- do
you remember gopher?

O, boy, am I ever getting old . . .

--

Best Regards,

mds
mds resource
888.250.3987

Our capacity for understanding is inversely proportional to how much we
think we know.  The more I know, the more I know I don't know . . .