Re: two /home directories?

----- Original Message -----
From: "Colin Watson" <cjwatson@debian.org>
To: <debian-user@lists.debian.org>
Sent: Tuesday, July 23, 2002 12:46 PM
Subject: Re: two /home directories?

> On Tue, Jul 23, 2002 at 11:01:34AM -0400, alex wrote:
> > I just finished a fresh install of Debian with / on hdb7 and a /home
> > partition on hda3.   mtab verifies that /home is on hda3.
> >
> > How come there's also a /home still in the directory root /?
>
> That'd be the mount point. You need the directory there in order to
> mount something on it.
>
> > It doesn't appear in mtab.
>
> mtab only lists mount points, not directories.
>
> > If mtab recognizes that  /home is on hda3,  why does the command
> > cd /home   bring up the other  /home directory, the one  under  /
> > instead of the one under   hda3?
>
> /etc/mtab isn't always kept up to date in certain situations, such as
> read-only root filesystem. Try /proc/mounts. You'll probably have to
> 'mount /home' or 'mount -t ext2 /dev/hda3 /home', but it should be
> possible to fix things such that this is done automatically.
>
> What's in /etc/fstab?

Here's my /etc/fstab:

#
/dev/hdb7 /  ext2 defaults,errors=remount-ro 0 1
/dev/hda2 none  swap sw   0 0
proc  /proc  proc defaults   0 0
/dev/fd0 /floppy  auto defaults,user,noauto  0 0
/dev/cdrom /cdrom  iso9660 defaults,ro,user,noauto  0 0
/dev/hda3 /home ext2 rw   0 2

What does 'errors=remount-ro 0 1' mean?  Is there something
wrong in /dev/hdb7?

[cjwatson@flatline.org.uk]