Re: unresolved symbols in modules

On Tue, 2002-07-23 at 22:59, David Jardine wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 23, 2002 at 10:05:27PM +0100, Peter Whysall wrote:
> > On Tue, 2002-07-23 at 22:05, David Jardine wrote:
> > > Running
> > >
> > >    depmod -e
> > >
> > > produced 8,575 complaints of unresolved symbols (671
> > > different symbols in 480 modules).
> > >
> > > Should I be worried?
> >
> > This likely means that your kernel and modules in /lib/modules don't
> > line up.
> >
> > More info is required, specifically the version of the kernel you are
> > using and whether your computer actually works :-)
>
> Well, yes, it does work, which is what rather confuses me.
> I boot from a floppy created when I rashly attempted to compile
> a kernel (2.2.19pre9) some time ago.  I had gone back to the
> original version, but the floppy for that got corrupted and the
> only way I could see to get back in was to use my own weird
> thing.
>
> As you may have noticed, I'm way out of my depth in all this,
> but I can well imagine that things don't "line up".  But does
> it matter?  I don't really want to start all over again - I've
> done it too many times already :( - but if there's a time bomb
> ticking in the system ...

As you may imagine, obtaining, compiling and installing your own kernel
is quite an involved process, with multiple traps for the unwary.

That's why there are some handy kernel image packages available, to save
you all that work.

If you do "apt-cache search kernel-image" you will see that there are
many flavours, depending on what extra whizzy bits people have added.

I have found that installing a kernel-image package via "apt-get
install" is quite a simple operation.  This also installs the correct
modules for the kernel and configures your LILO boot loader for this new
kernel.

I am currently running a modified (i.e. I have got extra drivers for my
Nvidia graphics card and au8830 sound card) kernel, but my backup kernel
(should things go bad) is the stock 2.4.18 kernel installed by the
"kernel-image-2.4.18-686" package - and it works a treat, sans
hardware-accelerated 3d and sound :-)

Hope this helps,

Peter.

--