Re: Comment on article - Switching Back.

Larry Smith said:

> --- "Satelle, StevenX" <stevenx.satelle@intel.com>
> wrote:
>> I agree, for the avenge home user Linux is a no-no.
>> Its strengths are in the
>> Server arena. I run Linux on all my machines at home
>> but I like a challenge.
>> I'd never put it on my Fathers PC. He has problems
>> finding the power switch,
>> literally he called me to find out how to turn the
>> pc on. In my opinion
>> Linux is not yet ready for the enterprise. Until it
>> is set-up so that even
>> people who learned computers in college can admin
>> it. It wont be ready. I
>> work in an Enterprise and I can truly say that very
>> few people here would be
>> able to do simple things like map a network drive
>> (mount -t smbfs -o
>> username=joebloggs,password=secret //machine/cdrive
>> /mnt/smb) and also the
>> whole user/group management is far from ready.
>>
>> Steven Satelle
>> TAC
>> i606 4372
>

> But I wonder if that is even necessary?  Not everyone
> knows how to fly a plane either, but those who do sure
> get around fast, and go to places unavailable to cars.
> Yet no one is terribly concerned with getting planes
> so easy to fly that anyone can fly one.
>
> If Linux is a "professional" level computer system,
> letting the more accomplished user work at a higher
> level, then so be it.  Design it for them, just like
> my scientific calculator (which does the average check
> book balancer little or no good).

I must say, I can't understand the basis for this type of argument. People
say "Linux is for power users only; don't use it if you want a
consumer-grade OS". However, where is it written that an OS is "either or"?
Why can't Linux be a consumer-grade OS *and* for power users. All that it
would take would be to hide the complexities of the setup for basic users,
but leave them exposed for people who want that.

I definitely want the "unwashed masses" to start using Free OS's. This makes
it impossible for companies like MS to hijack computing behaviour, etc. I
don't think that any sacrifice has to be made by "power users" to reach this
goal.

--
Kurt Yoder
Sport & Health network administrator