Re: Cannot get TeX -> PDF with outline fonts to work

On Wednesday 17 July 2002 15.36, Pat Colbeck wrote:
> Yup by default the PDFs look terrible especially on screen (usually
> print fine though).
> I use LyX at the moment and I have fixed it for stuff LyX produces.
> The following references might help you with command line TeX to PDF
> conversions too as the backends are essentially the same.
>
> http://www.doc.ic.ac.uk/csg/faqs/latex.html
> http://www.lyx.org/help/pdf/pdf.php3
> http://www-hep.colorado.edu/~fperez/lyxport/lyxport.html#pdf%20genera
>tion http://www.gvu.gatech.edu/ccg/resources/latex2pdf.html
>
> On Wednesday 17 July 2002 2:20 pm, Anders Torger wrote:
> > I'm trying to make a TeX document into a PDF document, using
> > outline (scalable) fonts instead of the default (terribly looking)
> > bitmap fonts.
> >
> > I have searched the web for information on how to do it, and for
> > modern Latex installations it seems to be this simple operation

Thanks, now I got it to work. I found this in one of your references:

----

In your home directory, make (or modify it if it already exists) a file
named .dvipsrc which must contain the lines:
    p+ psfonts.cmz
    p+ psfonts.amz

 Make sure that the LaTeX preamble of your LyX file (or the part before
\begin{document} if you are using straight LaTeX files) contains:
    \usepackage[T1]{fontenc}
    \usepackage{ae,aecompl}

This will guarantee that T1 encoded fonts come out looking good in the
final PDF.

----

And it worked for me, using dvips and ps2pdf:

latex myfile.tex
latex myfile.tex
dvips myfile.dvi
ps2pdf myfile.ps

(thought it could be good to have the solution in the mailing list
archive as well)

/Anders Torger