Re: Installing "debs" from file

On  0, Emil H <deb-list@linuxmail.org> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I know this is probobly a simple problem but I can't
> get past it.
>
> I have downloaded a deb file (xv picture viewer) and
> want to install it.
> What is the process?
>
> What I have tried is:
> 1) placed the deb under /root/debs/dists/testing/
> non-free/binary-i386/Packages
> 2) adding a "file" entry in /etc/apt/sources.list
> deb file:/root/debs testing non-free
> 3) running apt-get update

None of the above.

You need to either create your own local mirror using apt-move, and
then add that to sources.list, or:

dpkg -i /path/to/your/.deb

Regards
Tom

--
Tom Cook

"The secret of creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."
	- Albert Einstein

Get my GPG public key: https://pinky.its.adelaide.edu.au/~tkcook/tom.cook-at-adelaide.edu.au