Re: Text 2 Speech

On Mon, 8 Jul 2002 14:04:40 -0400
Oleg <oleg@tw304h3.cpmc.columbia.edu> wrote:

> Hi
>
> What is the best text-to-speech tool? apt-cache shows some, but I don't want
> to try them all and compare.

If you're looking for free software, there are two choices, related to
each other: festival and flite (festival lite). Festival has better
quality. Flite has more support. I'm using it as the speech server for
my emacspeak installation (via eflite). Nice for shutting down the
computer when there's a black out and my monitor's out.

Alternatively, you could buy a text-to-speech card. Some brands are
rumored to be kernel-supported.