Re: OT:Re: Linux-based editor for PowerPoint presentations?

%% Paul Johnson <baloo@ursine.dyndns.org> writes:

  pj> Also, if I'm not mistaken, Sun either stopped dev or relicenced it
  pj> back into a closed source product...I don't remember.

Nope.

What Sun did was take copies of the OO codebase and incorporate them
back into a new release of SO (SO 6), then release that as a
closed-source tool with some advanced features that OO doesn't have.  OO
is still going strong as an open source project and there's no problem
with what Sun did (they always intended to do this, although it wasn't
clear whether SO would be gratis going forward or not--turns out not).

This is very similar to the Mozilla/Netscape relationship.