Re: Recompiled kernel and killed network card (newbie)

On Sunday 07 July 2002 01:08 pm, Lisa C. Boyd wrote:
> I previously posted a problem with my sound card. Following Kent's
> instructions on recompiling a kernel (2.4.18) - I have now killed my
> network connection. I am a total newbie and had a Debian developer help me
> with the initial install. I'm clueless as to where to start reading on
> installing whatever I need to install to get my network card working again.
> Please send along links to information (I'm not afraid to read) and/or
> how-to's in email.

can you define a little more elaborately what you mean by killed your network
connection? what kind of connection did you have to begin with? when engaging
in recompiling the kernel, it's always a good idea to keep a backup copy of
the config that works. the original is /usr/src/linux/.config. even if you've
overwritten that, look for /usr/src/linux/.config~. it sounds like you've
just forgotten to enable support for your card in the new version of .config.
try the command dmesg|more and look for references to your nic, that is
assuming that your network connection is ethernet as opposed to dialup ppp.
in the future, save the (re)config using a name that you can remember.

ben