Recompiled kernel and killed network card (newbie)

I previously posted a problem with my sound card. Following Kent's instructions on recompiling a kernel (2.4.18) - I have now killed my network connection. I am a total newbie and had a Debian developer help me with the initial install. I'm clueless as to where to start reading on installing whatever I need to install to get my network card working again. Please send along links to information (I'm not afraid to read) and/or how-to's in email.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide!
Lisa B.