Re: tunneled ssh connection is constantly dropped

On Tue, 2002-07-02 at 19:46, Clay Fandre wrote:
> > SSH has some keepalive features, try enabling these, and check if the
> > tunnel stay's up then...
> >
> > Check the ssh_config and sshd_config manual pages for:
> >
> > ProtocolKeepAlives
> > KeepAlive
> >
> > I'm tunneling over a HTTP proxy, and need the ProtocolKeepalives to have
> > my (idle) connections last for more then 60 seconds :)
> >
> > Just put a Keepalive of 20 or so in your ~/.ssh/config
>
> The keepalive options do not keep connections up. In fact, they do the
> exact opposite. They will tear down the connection if the keepalive
> time is met. This is meant to keep connections from getting hung if
> the remote system crashes, or if the network is down for any length of
> time. Check out the manpage for ssh_config for more information.

That is correct for the regular (tcp) KeepAlive from OpenSSH, but the
ProtocolKeepAlive (only in debian versions, it's a debian patch) OpenSSH
option sends SSH-NULL packets between client and server, keeping the
session active even when there is no traffic.

Mark