Re: Problem connecting app to X display server

On Mon, Jun 24, 2002 at 05:19:43PM -0600, Sivea Key wrote:
> HI,
> I'm new to Debian and LINUX so any help would be greatly appreciated.
>
> I am trying to run a simulation program on Debian. It compiles fine (now) but whenever I try to launch the gui it tells me it can't connect to the display and that I need to run:  export DISPLAY=<machine>:0   [or setenv--I'm in BASH so I use export]
>
> Running that command produces no error but also doesn't help. I have tried using the machine name and also tried using what appeared to be the display server name. I am not certain I used the actual display server name--where exactly do I find it and what should it look like? (I used defaults on everything except the computer name during install and again during reconfiguration.)
>
> Thanks again for any help offered,
> Sivea

You could try localhost:0

Also, are you running the program as the same user as your X session? Is this
a local program or are you logging into another machine to start this prog?
Try entering the FQDN as your DISPLAY and xhost the remote machine's FQDN.

Even if this is a local program, you may have a DNS problem, check /etc/hosts
and /etc/resolv.conf