Re: Canonical Way to install Java

On 28-06-2002 01:47 Kent West wrote:
Thanks for everyone's input. I think I'll go the Sun route. Anyone have any idea why Sid's isn't up-to-date? Is it a "freedom" issue? If so, does Sun not realize they are hurting the spread of Java by not making it truly free?

In what way? The SDK is freely downloadable. Are you expecting more...?
At least, AFAIK, the J2SE is basically free. Well, did I miss something? (Usually, there's a delay about 5 seconds before I hit the "Accept" button at the Sun's Java SDK download page.)

I believe that Sun provides everything in the distribution; so for the native libraries, they are also included in the SDK. Basically, all you need to to to run Java is by downloading the SDK and setting up the JAVA_HOME.

BTW, pay attentions to the beta versions though; lately I had problems using the 1.3.x beta, the JVM leaked slowly (in the end, the system was busily killing the JVMs, and eventually, crashed). So for long running programs (daemons), it is advisable to use the release versions; meaning, stick to the latest release versions, even if you want to stay in the edge.

Oki