Re: ATI Rage 128 and XFree 4.1

----- Original Message -----
From: "Michael Jinks" <mjinks@uchicago.edu>
To: "Helgi ?rn" <gnu4u@telia.com>
Cc: "Carlos Sousa" <csousa@tvtel.pt>; "Debian User List"
<debian-user@lists.debian.org>
Sent: Tuesday, June 25, 2002 11:59 PM
Subject: Re: ATI Rage 128 and XFree 4.1

> On Sat, Jun 22, 2002 at 05:41:43PM +0200, Helgi ?rn wrote:
> > >
> > Is this on a laptop too? In Michaels case I think it was a laptop.
>
> FYI no, it's a Dell Optiplex GX240.  Mini desktop, video on the
> motherboard.

I have one of these on my desk at work, it's running Sid/Windows XP. The ATI
card is a strange Rage 128 Ultra TF, which isn't even listed on ATI's web
site. I'm guessing that it's an OEM Spesh for Dell.

You have two options.

1. use the "vesa" driver and live with extremely shonky video performance.
2. Download the binary distribution of XFree86 4.2 and install this over
your Debian install.

What I did was to install XFree86 (apt-get install x-window-system) and then
did a sequence of events that looked something like this:

# mv /etc/X11 /etc/X11.pw
# mv /usr/X11R6 /usr/X11R6/pw
# cd /root/downloaded_x/
# sh Xinstall.sh
... install X ...

I then did the little dance with XFree86 -configure, changed my keymap to
gb, and the mouse device and protocol from /dev/mouse and "auto" to
/dev/psaux and "IMPS/2".

Hope this helps.

When I return to the office I will, if you like, post a copy of my working
/etc/X11/XF86Config-4.

On an GX240-related note, have you noticed that the thing runs far slower
than you would expect, particularly with respect to disk performance? (Yes,
I've turned on DMA :-)

Best regards

Peter.