ATI Rage 128 and XFree 4.1

A group of my users have bought a big batch of Dell desktops with what
appears to be an ATI chipset soldered to the motherboard for video.

My usual process for getting acquainted with new hardware is to start by
installing RedHat, archive /etc, install Debian, and then crib from the
RedHat /etc for those bits of hardware that Debian doesn't autodetect.
In the present case, RedHat puts this line in XF86Config-4 in the
"Device" section:

	Driver		"r128"

...but that fails under Debian unless I change it to:

        Driver          "vesa"

...but the graphics are pretty crummy, so I was hoping to give the ATI
driver a try.  (On a lark I also tried 'Driver "ati"' but that also
failed.)

>From a web search and a look through apt-cache, it seems that with the
4.x series, individual drivers are no longer packaged separately from
the pain xserver distribution.  So does this mean that ATI-specific
support isn't provided in Debian's build of XFree?  Anybody have any
hints for what I can do?

TIA,
-mrj
--
# Michael Jinks, IB # JFI/MRSEC/EFI Computing # University of Chicago #
      Reader!  Think not that