Re: backup all the changes I made to the "virgin debian system"

Hi,

about three months ago I wrote some related thoughts in article
<ec6651k60q.fsf@ilsor.hnv.icem.de>. Four weeks ago I got the first and
only reply to it - must be because of the quality and my good english.
:-)

But hey, I don't give up, so here is an extract of my thoughts
*again*, still untested, but it may be a point to start:

# Backing up config files:

cat /var/lib/dpkg/info/*.conffiles | xargs tar czf /backup/config.tgz

# Backing up all files *not* included in debian packages:

cat /var/lib/dpkg/info/*.list | sort >/tmp/tmplist.debian
find / -xdev -type f | sort >/tmp/tmplist.reallife
comm -13 /tmp/tmplist.debian /tmp/tmplist.reallife | \
     xargs tar czf /backup/additions.tgz

# Backing up all packaged but changed files:

cd /
cat /var/lib/dpkg/info/*.md5sums | \
    LANG=en_US md5sum -c 2>&1 | cut -d\' -f2 | \
    xargs tar czf /backup/changed.tgz

[x] ulf

--
"I heard if you play the Windows-XP-CD backwards, you get a satanic message."
"That's nothing, if you play it forward, it installs Windows XP"