Re: dns setup with domain name

On Mon, Jun 24, 2002 at 04:21:13AM -0400, Debian User wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 23, 2002 at 09:06:11PM +0100, Matthew Sackman wrote:
> > BIND doesn't care less whether you own the domain name or not. Just so
> > long as it's not going to come across another DNS server that thinks
> > someone else other than you owns it. For that reason it's a good idea
> > (TM) to use an illegal domain name internally (i.e. without a valid
> > extension, so not a .com .co.uk .info .biz etc etc. I just use 'namkas'
> > here and bind really doesn't mind).
> >
> > Matthew
>
> I always liked to use .lan for the top level domain for reserve addressed networks. Then build whatever structure you need below that. I just setup a lan for a friend and the internal systems are in netgear.lan . He felt his FS108 switching hub deserved some credit.

Hmm. This is probably extreme and unnecessary paranoia, but you're
giving out unnecessary info about the hardware. It's the same reason no
one fills in 'H' records in DNS anymore (I think it's 'H' records...).

Probably silly levels of paranoia!

Matthew

--

Matthew Sackman
Nottingham

BOFH Excuse Board:
not properly grounded, please bury computer