Re: Help: Networking/samba woes

On Sat, 2002-06-22 at 15:30, Larry Smith wrote:
> I'm having a devil of a time getting my Debian network
> all set up properly.
>
> I'm using Potato.
> I have a local net using a RedHat server (it's been
> running for a couple of years, don't suspect problems
> there).
>
> I need to
> 1) Get to a samba printer on the RedHat system.

IMO the easiest way to do this is with CUPS. Install
cupsys
cupsys-client
cupsys-bsd
cupsys-driver-gimpprint

then point your browser to http://localhost:631 and use the web based
printer configuration

> 2) Be the gateway for other systems on the local net
> to the internet (the Debian system has the Modem).

Install shorewall and read the docs at www.shorewall.net.
IP Masquerade is what you want, it is as easy as putting

ppp0  eth0

in /etc/shorewall/masq

HTH

-Mark