Help: Networking/samba woes

I'm having a devil of a time getting my Debian network
all set up properly.

I'm using Potato.
I have a local net using a RedHat server (it's been
running for a couple of years, don't suspect problems
there).

I need to
1) Get to a samba printer on the RedHat system.

2) Be the gateway for other systems on the local net
to the internet (the Debian system has the Modem).

Can someone direct me to the most accurate, most
authoritative Debian network manual?  It seems to me
that networking web sites on the Debian home site and
the cdrom HOWTO-s are contradictory.  They refer to
different files to set up, and non refer to them all.
Like some of the manuals are out of date.

Thanks.