Re: About GNOME Setting and XMMS Sound

On Sat, Jun 22, 2002 at 11:47:59PM +0200, Carel Fellinger wrote:
| On Sat, Jun 22, 2002 at 02:45:07PM -0500, Derrick 'dman' Hudson wrote:
| > Esd is a daemon process that will open /dev/dsp and direct sound
| > output to there.  If esd starts before you run xmms, then xmms won't
| > be able to acquire the sound device, so it won't work (and vice
| > versa).  To solve that, tell xmms to use the ESD output plugin
| > instead.  This will cause xmms to direct all sound output requests to
|
| Is there way to do this on a global level? Or do you have to dive into
| each and every program and find out how to tell it to use esd?

I believe it's the latter.  The app must have been compiled with the
esd client library (whatever that is) and know to use that instead of
opening up /dev/dsp itself.

| If the latter, then how to do it for e.g. realaudio and bplay?

For realplayer,
    1)  Kill every process that is using /dev/dsp.  By default it
        tries to use "native" drivers, and ends up hanging if /dev/dsp
        is already in use.

    2)  Like all stupid semi-commercial software, it presents a
        "registration" dialog.  Click "cancel" on that and "exit" on
        the 'are you really sure?' dialog.  ("exit" means exit the
        registration, not the whole program)

    3)  Go to View->Preferences.  In the "Performance" tab there is a
        set of 3 radio buttons.  You can choose "native", "OSS", or
        "ESound".  Choose esound and then quit the app.

    4)  Download the xmms plugin
        (ftp://ftp.xmms.org/xmms/plugins/rmxmms/libreal.so) so you
        don't have to look at RP again but can use XMMS' gui and
        playlist instead.  (oh, to put a rtsp:// url in xmms' list you
        have to edit the list by hand.  no big deal, but the gui
        doesn't know what a ".ra" or ".ram" file is and that it
        supports it)

    (this is for RealPlayer 8)

-D

--

Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own
understanding; in all your ways acknowledge Him, and He will make your

http://dman.ddts.net/~dman/