Re: About GNOME Setting and XMMS Sound

On Sat, Jun 22, 2002 at 02:45:07PM -0500, Derrick 'dman' Hudson wrote:
> Esd is a daemon process that will open /dev/dsp and direct sound
> output to there.  If esd starts before you run xmms, then xmms won't
> be able to acquire the sound device, so it won't work (and vice
> versa).  To solve that, tell xmms to use the ESD output plugin
> instead.  This will cause xmms to direct all sound output requests to

Is there way to do this on a global level? Or do you have to dive into
each and every program and find out how to tell it to use esd?

If the latter, then how to do it for e.g. realaudio and bplay?

I know I should read the docs, but I'm trying very hard to get my
dad's firewall upto speed (cyrus21 giving me headaches, can't find
a decent iptables script that blends in with ifup/down) so pointers
to pages instead of mere manuals are very welcome.

--
groetjes, carel