Re: kernel upgrade to 2.4.18

Hi.  On this thread, TRUST MANOJ !

Any others' problems are mostly user issues.

On Sat, Jun 22, 2002 at 09:38:57AM -0400, Matthew Daubenspeck wrote:
> Sorry to pick up this conversation midstream, but all this talk of
> kernel upgrades got me wondering, and I decided to try it for myself.
>
> I have downloaded the sources and uncompressed them where they should
> be. I made the link (if I should or not, this is how I have always
> done it otherwise) and have tried make menuconfig.

"downloaded" from Debian archive, I think.  Kernel source in Debian are
usually patched to be more compatible with what we do (initrd etc.).

> I keep getting errors about not having ncurses installed. I searched
> with apt-get and have tried to install anything that even mentions
> ncurses, but I still get the same error.

Install as follows:
 # apt-get update
 # apt-get install binutils bzip2 fileutils libc6-dev gcc make
 # apt-get install libncurses5-dev kernel-package

You sounds like you need header file of ncurses. libncurses5-dev could
be libncurses4-dev instead. libc-dev and libncurses-dev are virtual package.

Next time you wonder dependency, run next command and pick all in Depends,
Recommends, and Suggests.

$ apt-cache show kernel-source-2.4.18
Package: kernel-source-2.4.18
Section: devel
Installed-Size: 23432
Maintainer: Herbert Xu <herbert@debian.org>
Architecture: all
Version: 2.4.18-5
Provides: kernel-source, kernel-source-2.4
Depends: binutils, bzip2, fileutils (>= 4.0)
Recommends: libc-dev, gcc, make
Suggests: libncurses-dev | ncurses-dev, kernel-package
Filename: pool/main/k/kernel-source-2.4.18/kernel-source-2.4.18_2.4.18-5_all.deb
Size: 23881186
MD5sum: 853b0644f07d7b1a6285a80fb05d1ddf
 This package provides the source code for the Linux kernel version 2.4.18.
 .
 You may configure the kernel to your setup by typing "make config"
 and following instructions, but you could get ncursesX.X-dev and
 tkX.X-dev and try "make menuconfig" for a jazzier, and easier to use
 interface. Also, please read the detailed documentation in the file
 /usr/share/doc/kernel-source-2.4.18/README.headers.gz.
 .
 If you wish to use this package to create a custom Linux kernel, then
 it is suggested that you investigate the package kernel-package,
 which has been designed to ease the task of creating kernel image
 packages.

 Osamu Aoki @ Cupertino CA USA
 See "User's Guide":     http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/users-guide/
 See "Debian reference": http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/debian-reference/
 "Debian reference" Project at: http://qref.sf.net

 I welcome your constructive criticisms and corrections.