Monitor Problems

Hi,
I've got Woody running o.k. on a laptop but when I go to install it onto a hp
desktop with S3 Savage 8m video card equipped p.c., even in the early text
based installation routines there is a lot of hash on the screen. ie say a
text box is up on the screen and is either being refreshed often or it SEEMS
like when the hard disk is thrashing or working hard there are a lot of
streaking in the horozontal plane of the screen off to the sides of the text.

i.e.
		|----------------------------------|
		|			       |
		|        _____________	       |
		|    ==|watch this spce | ==      |
		|    ==|the = signs are  | ==      |
		|    ==|the hash streaks| ==      |
If I try loading redhat 7.2 there is no problems. But I wish to keep debian
going on both the pc's. How do I find out the version of X server I have
going in woody?
Thanks for any advise.