Re: Can't reach master.debian.org

On Thu, Jun 20, 2002 at 09:31:14PM -0400, Tom Zych wrote:
> Colin Watson wrote:
> > Tom Zych wrote:
> > > ping gives me 216.234.231.5 as the IP address, does this match
> > > what ping tells you?
>
> > 65.125.64.135, and that's what ifconfig says when I log in there too.
>
> Weird. I tried plugging that into my browser, it changed to
> http://www.debian.org/distrib/ftplist . Loads ok but it isn't bugs.
> Might be master...

Virtual hosting will do that kind of thing to you. You'd need to get the
browser to send the right Host: line; since your DNS server seems to be
months out of date, the easiest way to do that might be to add an entry
to /etc/hosts.

> Also ping www.debian.org gives 198.186.203.20. Maybe certain
> subtrees are actually on another server?

www.debian.org is a different server (klecker) from master, that's true,
but actually it's just that http://master.debian.org/ (and anything else
it doesn't know about explicitly) redirects off to that "Getting Debian
from the Internet" page. If you want to get useful information from
master's web server, you need to use http://bugs.debian.org/,
http://lists.debian.org/, etc., so in your case you'll need entries for
those in your hosts file.

You probably ought to ask your network admins to fix their DNS server,
though.