Re: What is happening to testing/unstable?

On Thu, Jun 20, 2002 at 02:21:30PM +0100, Anthony Campbell wrote:
> On 20 Jun 2002, Colin Watson wrote:
> > No; 'dselect update' is a superset of 'apt-get update' (if dselect is
> > configured to use the apt method, which is the default these days), not
> > the other way round.
> >
> > Arguably it shouldn't be that way, but there are a number of complicated
> > historical reasons.
>
> I'm not clear what you mean by a superset. In the past, running "apt-get
> update" was enough to produce a list of things to be upgraded. Has
> something changed?

'apt-get update' has never updated dpkg's available file. Very likely
you just never noticed this before.

> If we need to run "dselect update" as well,

If you care about dpkg's available file being up-to-date, you need to
run 'dselect update', which runs 'apt-get update' for you. You don't
need to run 'apt-get update' as well.

I do find it rather strange that this fixed your original problem,
though, considering that you said you were just using apt-get. I only
suggested 'dselect update' because you pointed out that
/var/lib/dpkg/available was empty.