Re: Need advice on best SMP mainboard for Debian

On Wednesday 19 June 2002 08:19 pm, Christopher Swingley wrote:
> * Derek Gladding <derek_gladding@altavista.net> [2002-Jun-19 15:46
>
> * AKDT]:

[snip]

> Make sure you've got very clean power, excellent cooling, and a good
> high-wattage power supply.  I've had trouble with most of the dual
> Tyan boards shutting themselves down or worse, frying themselves.
> Putting the machines in a climate controlled room (65 degrees) on
> conditioned power has been the only solution.

I used a 400W PSU instead of the min-spec 300W, stuck an extra fan in
the case and was fairly liberal with the thermal grease. So far, no problems
even in an 80+ degree room. All my machines are sitting on the clean side
of a fairly chunky UPS, so I have no idea of how sensitive they are to dirty
power, though I'd suspect that using an over-rated PSU deals with a fair
chunk of that.

> I've found the dual Pentium boards to be more stable and less
> finicky, and I'll probably buy those from now on after the trouble
> I've had with Tyan dual Athlon chipsets.

My experience has been the other way round - my previous machine
was a Tyan dual P3 and it needed a lot of BIOS twiddling to get it
stable. No experience with dual P4s though.

> YMMV,

Likewise ;-)

- Derek