Re: Need advice on best SMP mainboard for Debian

On Wednesday 19 June 2002 10:11 am, John Foster wrote:
> I have decided to build a new workstation and am asking for users
> input as to the best mainboard for the money available. I can go
> pretty much any direction i.e. AMD,Intel or possibly Alpha but I do
> not have any experience with Alpha. I am seriously considering the
> Tyan S2460 Dual AMD board. Any comments are appreciated. If you feel
> this is off topic please reply anyway off the list. Thanks!

I'm running mixed Woody/Sid, home-cooked 2.4.18 kernel on a Tyan dual Athlon
MP setup (S2460 mobo or very similar), Not had a single problem so far, box runs
very sweet, very fast, and very stable. For the work I'm doing, this particular mobo/CPU
setup is at the sweet spot for performance/dollar. (YMMV of course, but I'd
recommend it as a good setup for a high-end dev/simulation/crunching box).

- Derek