Re: Printer Recommendation Requested

On 18 Jun 2002 18:08:00 -0400
Neal <linuxer@ptd.net> wrote:

> > I've also searched for past recommendations.  The webpage
>  > seems to push Epson C80 the most.  I've seen some complaints
>  > of reliability for other Epson models, but nothing specifically
>  > for the C80.
>  >
>  > Any recent experience with these (or other) printers (and info
>  > about where to buy them)?  I'm running potato, and using the
>  > parallel connector for printing.
>  >
>  Mike,
>  I can recommend the Epson C80 from personal experience.  I use it on
>  both Debian and RedHat with CUPS the CUPS drivers gimp-print.

I will second this. The Epson C80 comes with both USB and, in case you
don't want to monkey with that, parallel port interfaces. The cartridges
use what appear to be archival-quality pigmented inks, including the
color inks, which come in separate cartridges. Unlike the inks used in
most inkjets, which bleed at the first raindrop, the inks used in the
Epson C80 are fairly waterproof. I've submerged a plain-paper printout
in a tub of water overnight with no apparent loss in visual quality. You
should however check out the price of the cartridges before buying. They
tend to be expensive.

Epson also happens to be one company that produces Linux drivers that
approximate the quality of their Windows and Mac drivers.