Re: Can't get audio to work

On Tuesday 18 June 2002 08:25 pm, Glen Lee Edwards wrote:
> > > in effigy.  They won't blame Red Hat.  After all, it was my
> > > decision to upgrade to 7.3.  Not Red Hat's.
> >
> > 	Glen, could I interest you in  apt-rpm  ?? It's a rather sweet
> > package for your RH boxes.
>
> No.  Downloading the rpms isn't the problem.  The constant upgrades are.
> I need a stable operating system that allows me to upgrade individual
> packages instead of requiring that I upgrade the whole box.  Red Hat
> clearly doesn't meet that requirement.  Red Hat's problem is that
> they've gone commercial.  In order to remain financially viable they
> now *have* to regularly put out upgrades.
>
> I have all the new 7.3 rpms on the hard drive.  Some installed.  Some
> won't.  So have have a part 7.2, part 7.3 box with a lot of broken
> programs.

	That's why I chimed in. Using apt-rpm, you can use all the commands you've
grown comfy with in Debian.  (e.g. apt-get update && apt-get upgrade,
apt-cache search {keyword}, etc) And the upgrades/updates are sweet. There
now are a number of new apt-rpm sites popping up (including /.) Here's a url
to wander thru......
	http://apt-rpm.tuxfamily.org/

	And for those wondering, NO! I DON'T WEAR THE HAT!! :--)  I just support
linux wherever/whenever I can. :--)

> > 	Ouch! But, you DO have help. :--)  My only request is "Purdy
> > Please!, no html mail"
>
> If I'm sending out html mail it's not by intent.

	:--)  Yer not, it's just that I've run into a couple of folks that used
'another box' and hotmail (or the likes) to write me while actually werking
on thier linux box. :--)  Yer fine!

> > 	lspci shows that yes, you DO have the sound chip on your motherboard
> > and 'accessable". That's all. :--)  So, let's see. Can you look at
> > "dmesg | less"   and see if you can see what it says about the
> > initialization? THIS is where you'll see if the chipset was actually
> > activated.
>
> I see no reference in dmesg to anything audio, nor to IRQ 11, which is
> where lspci -vv says audio is located.

	Then, somehow/someway the audio chip is STILL not being seen. There is
another thread running now about having to use the alsa drivers on the AC'97,
is this the same chipset you're calling? (it's early in my day and i don't
recall right now)

> Glen

- --
                           OutCast Computer Consultants of Central Oregon
                                 http://outcast-consultants.redmond.or.us
                                 griz@outcast-consultants.redmond.or.us
      (541) 504-1388  /\IRC: 205.227.115.251:6667:#OutCasts /\ICQ: UIN 138930