building Postgresql

So, I was building postgresql from source (via debian/rules build)
when it failed due to a missing header file, so I apt-got the package
which contained the file reran the build and got the following:

jsf@dep3$ debian/rules build                                                   ~/packages/debian/postgresql/postgresql-7.2.1
debian/rules: build-stamp target
dh_testdir
dh_installdirs
echo doctmp is /home/jsf/packages/debian/postgresql/postgresql-7.2.1/debian/postgresql-doc/usr/share/doc/postgresql-doc
doctmp is /home/jsf/packages/debian/postgresql/postgresql-7.2.1/debian/postgresql-doc/usr/share/doc/postgresql-doc
cat patches/* | patch -p0
patching file src/pl/plpgsql/src/pl_funcs.c
Reversed (or previously applied) patch detected!  Assume -R? [n]
Apply anyway? [n]
Skipping patch.
2 out of 2 hunks ignored -- saving rejects to file src/pl/plpgsql/src/pl_funcs.c.rej
make: *** [build-stamp] Error 1

What should I do here?

And what about build-depends, how do I know if a source package has
these and how do I make use of them if it does?

TIA

Jorge Santos